Harrison Golden Wedding Anniversary Coverage
This article appeared in the The Atlanta Constitution
on Saturday, April 27, 1924
Pioneer Couple will Celebrate Golden Wedding
A social occasion of unusual importance , one carrying a great amount of interest and sentiment, will be the golden wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. George Washington Harrison, well-known and beloved pioneer citizens, which will be marked by a brilliant reception on Tuesday, April 29, from 5 to 7 o'clock, at their home, 1388 Peachtree road.
Receiving with Mr. and Mrs. Harrison will be their sister, Mrs. E. Y. Clarke, Sr., Mrs. Thomas D. Meador, Sr., and A. C. Briscoe, who were members of the bridal party fifty years ago; Mrs. Michael Hoke, Mrs. George H. Lewis, Mrs. Frank L. Fleming, Mrs. Georgia H. Starke, Miss Nellie Hightower, Miss Nora Belle Starke, and Miss Emily Harrison.
The following interesting account of the marriage was reproduced from the
files of The Constitution and written by the late E. Y. Clark, Sr:
Daily Constitution, Atlanta
Thursday Morning, April 30, 1874
"At 7 o'clock last evening, at the residence of Judge J. A. Hayden,
father of the bride, Miss Lucie Hayden was married to Mr. George W. Harrison,
of this city, brother of Colonel Z. D. Harrison, clerk of the supreme court.
The ceremony was impressively performed by Rev. J. H. Martin, pastor of the
First Presbyterian Church.
"The following were the attendants:
"Miss Nora Harrison, Miss Julia Lowry, Miss Mary Reading, Miss Julia Taylor, Miss Sallie Moore, Miss Alice Glenn, Miss Libbie Tuller, Miss Mattie Briggs, Macon.
"J. H. Johnson, of Macon; Thomas McGuire, Thomas D. Meador, E. A. Knight,
Dr. W. G. Drake, John L. McGuire, A. C. Briscoe, E. Y. Clarke.
"In addition to the attendants, the immediate relatives were also present.
"The bride looked her LOVELIEST, and indeed rarely does one so beautiful
pronounce marriage vows. The groom looked his HAPPIEST, and well he might,
for he had occasion to feel so. He is one of the most excellent young men that Atlanta can boast.
"The bride and her bridesmaids were richly and beautifully attired, and
charmed the hours away with bewildering fascination.
"The company sat down to a supper most tastefully and beautifully prepared by Mrs. Hayden, who with the judge, entertained the guests most agreeably.
"The bridal presents by the attendants, relatives and friends were numerous, costly and strikingly handsome.
"At 9 1/4 o'clock Mr. and Mrs. Harrison left on the Western and Atlantic
train for a northern tour. May they live long and realize in its fullest sense the significance of the familiar couplet
"Domestic happiness, thou only bliss Of Paradise that has survived the fall."
This article was printed in the The Atlanta Constitution on Tuesday, April 29, 1924
Golden Wedding will Feature Today's Calendar
Featuring the social calendar of today and marking an epoch in the
history of society will be the golden wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs.
George Washington Harrison, distinguished and beloved citizens of Atlanta.
The anniversary will be celebrated by a brilliant reception to be given this
afternoon from 5 to 7 o'clock at the Harrison home, 1388 Peachtree road.
The affair will be attended by a large and brilliant gathering of
representative southern society, friends and relatives coming from far and
near to pay tribute of love and esteem to the beloved couple.
Mr. and Mrs. Harrison will have with them in the receiving line their
sister, Mrs. E. Y. Clarke, Sr., Mrs. Thomas D. Meador, Sr., and A. C.
Briscoe, all of whom were members of the bridal party of 50 years ago.
Others receiving will be Mrs. Michael Hoke, Mrs. George H. Lewis, Mrs. Frank
L. Fleming, Mrs. Georgia H. Starke, Miss Nellie Hightower, Miss Nora Belle
Starke, and Miss Emily Harrison.
Mr. and Mrs. Harrison were married on Wednesday evening at 7 o'clock,
April 29, 1874. Since that time they have been influential members of the
religious, social, civic, and cultural life of the city. Their wedding
anniversary will be of interest to countless friends throughout the state.
This article appeared in The Atlanta Constitution, on Wednesday, April 30, 1924
Mr. and Mrs. George W. Harrison Celebrate Golden Wedding
The golden wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. George Washington Harrison was celebrated Tuesday afternoon with a brilliant reception, the occasion
assembling a large and representative a group of southern society as ever gathered to pay tribute of love and esteem to distinguished and beloved Atlantans.
Between the hours of five and seven o'clock the handsome Harrison home on Peachtree road, placed far back in it beautiful setting of magnificent trees, shrubs, and flowers, witnessed the gathering of countless friends and relatives whose deepest interest centered in the affectionate regard for the loved couple and the charming sentiment of the occasion.
Mr. and Mrs. Harrison received their guests in the long library at the front of the house. Banked high with palms, ferns, and trailing vines, the lovely room with its highly polished wood panels and rich hangings made an appropriate background for the receiving party which included George W. Harrison, Jr., only [ed note: living] child of Mr. and Mrs. Harrison. Mrs. E. Y. Clarke, Sr., sister of Mr. Harrison, Mrs. Thomas D. Meador, Sr., and A. C. Briscoe, who were members of the bridal party fifty years ago; Mrs. Michael Hoke, Mrs. George H. Lewis, Mrs. Frank L. Fleming, Mrs. Georgia H. Starke, Miss Nellie Hightower, Miss Nora Belle Starke, and Miss Emily Harrison, all of them who are nieces of Mr. and Mrs. Harrison, and their sister, Mrs. Georgia Starke. Other decorations in the library were baskets, bowls, and tall floor vases
filled with golden snapdragons, roses, tulips and jonquils, the ceiling and wall lights being softly shaded with golden globes.
Married in 1874
Mr. and Mrs. Harrison were married in 1874, 50 years ago, in the old Hayden residence at 76 Marietta Street at 7 o'clock on Wednesday evening, April 29, the late Rev. Joseph H. Martin performing the ceremony. Mrs. Harrison was before her marriage Miss Lucie Minerva Hayden and attending her on her wedding day were Miss Nora Harrison, sister of Mr. Harrison, who is now Mrs. E. Y. Clarke, Sr., as maid of honor; Miss Julia Lowry, now Mrs. Thomas D. Meador, Miss Mary Reading, whose death last week saddened her host of friends throughout the city; Miss Julia Taylor, now Mrs. John McKinlock, of Chicago, as bridesmaids, while A. C. Briscoe, prominent Atlantan, was a groomsman. The other attendants, all of whom are dead, included Miss Sallie Moore, Miss Alice Glenn, Miss Mattie Briggs, of Macon;
Miss Libbie Tuller, of Atlanta; J. Holmes Johnson, of Macon; Thomas J. McGuire, E. A. Knight, Thomas D. Meador, Dr. W. G. Drake, and E. Y. Clarke, a gallant Confederate soldier.
Mrs. Harrison was a gracious hostess, wearing on this occasion the gown in which she became the bride of Mr. Harrison. Built of heavy white moire satin which has acquired an ivory shade since the wedding day, the gown was fashioned with a tight basque waist and a very full skirt, the back being draped in pannier style, the prevailing mode of fifty years ago. Many yards of rare rose point lace trimmed the skirt, also outlining the round round neck and tiny puff sleeves which were caught with the same tulle and orange blossoms which were originally used. Retaining her dainty beauty and slender figure, Mrs. Harrison wore the gown unaltered, using also the same white kid slippers and silk stockings which she wore at her wedding. She carried a bouquet of golden Claudia Pernet roses, showered with yellow snapdragons and lilies of the valley and clasped in an old fashioned silver holder which also held the wedding bouquet.
Another interesting point of sentiment was the fact that Mr. Harrison wore on this occasion the embroidered dress shirt and the brocaded silk vest which he wore as the groom in 1874.
Mrs. Clarke's Costume
Mrs. E. Y. Clarke, Sr., was beautifully gowned in black crepe combined with handsome black lace.
Mrs. Michael Hoke's costume was of heavily embroidered chiffon of a soft shad of gold, fashioned over satin.
Mrs. Frank Fleming wore a draped model of cocoa shaded crepe meteor with trimmings of cream lace.
Mrs. Starke was handsomely gowned in black lace over black satin.
Miss Nellie Hightower's lovely gown was of nasturtium shaded chiffon with a garniture of handmade roses.
Miss Nora Belle Starke was gowned in a becomingly fashioned blue crepe gown.
Miss Emily Harrison wore a gown of gray chiffon embroidered.
Mrs. George Lewis was gowned in black lace veiling black satin.
The other rooms of the house were attractively arranged with quantities of palms and ferns, combined with a a wealth of golden blossoms, tributes of love and esteem from friends throughout Georgia and the south. in the dining room the tea table was covered with an imported cloth of filet lace and gracing the center was a tall two-tier basket, filled to overflowing with lovely golden Claudia Pernet roses, yellow snapdragons, calendulas and valley lilies. Many golden candles in golden holders added to the beauty of the scene, another feature in this room being the mantel decorations, which included a pair of very handsome hand-painted porcelain jars, filled with golden tulips, which were presented as a gift to Mr. and Mrs. Harrison at their wedding. The mints were artistically fashioned in the shapes of daisies and calla lilies with golden centers, the ices and cakes further carrying out the golden color motif.
View of Gardens
In the sun room which gives a pleasing view of the lovely gardens at the rear of the house, quantities of calendulas were used in effective array. The gardens were never lovelier than on this occasion, with their wealth of bloom opening upon a vista beyond which showed many fruit trees in blossom.
An orchestra rendered music throughout the calling hours, many airs being played which were favorites during the youthful days of the the host and hostess. Dr. J. Sprole Lyons offered a beautiful prayer.
Aristocratic Georgia Families
Mrs. Harrison, the daughter of the late Judge Julius A. Hayden and Mrs. Hayden, of Atlanta, and granddaughter of the late Judge Reuben Cone, was one of the acknowledged beauties and belles of Atlanta during her young ladyhood. She was a favorite in society, her gentleness of manner and sweetness of disposition combined with many admirable traits of character, have made her a greatly beloved figure in the social and religious life of the city.
She was born in Atlanta, and is a sister of Mrs. Leslie Thrasher, who now resides in Switzerland; Mrs. John Williams, of Chicago, Illinois; Mrs. Evelyn Hayden Phillips, of Atlanta; Julius Hayden, of Philadelphia; and the late Mrs. Mamie Hayden Whitner, the late Mrs. Harry Hightower and the late Reuben Cone [ed note: Hayden].
Mr. Harrison, son of the late Mr. and Mr. George W. Harrison, of Atlanta, is a representative of aristocratic Georgia families identified with the early history and upbuilding of the state. His brother, the late James P. Harrison, was a publisher of wide influence, state printer for several terms, and owner of the Christian Index, Southern Cultivator, Monitor Advertiser, of Forsyth, and held valuable marble interests in North Georgia. His brother Z.D. Harrison, clerk of the supreme court for more than 50 years and past president of the Georgia Bar Association, and Mrs. Georgia Harrison Starke and Mrs. E. Y. Clarke, Sr., are his sisters.
Public Spirited Citizens
Among the public-spirited businessmen of Atlanta, to whose labors and enterprise the world-wide fame of the city is largely due, few occupy a more conspicuous position and deserve more praise than does Mr. Harrison. He has held many high and honored offices during his lifetime, having been president of the board of the water commission of Atlanta, and served as lieutenant-colonel on the staffs of the late Governor W. J. Northen, governor W. Y. Atkinson, Governor Joseph M. Terrell, and Governor Allen Candler. He holds the commission of lieutenant-colonel, retired, for life.
Mr. Harrison has always taken deep interest in everything calculated to promote the prosperity of the country. For many years he was general manager and principal owner of the Franklin Publishing House, the most extensive business of the kind in the south. He served as state printer for twenty-five years, his term of office being marked by advanced strides for the betterment of service and for the material benefit of the state.
He is a valued member of the First Presbyterian church, having served as treasurer, elder, and chairman of the board of trustees, and having been instrumental in moving the church from Marietta street to its present site on Peachtree road. As treasurer, Mr. Harrison was also a prominent figure in financing the moving and building of the handsome new church. In every movement for the advancement of morality and religion he has been a useful factor, his modesty and integrity being as pronounced as his purity of mind and and his unfailing devotion to duty.
He was also a member of the board of directors of the Cotton States and International exposition and chairman of many important committees at this exposition. George W. Harrison, Jr., popular and well-known in the social and business life of Atlanta, is the only son of Mr. and Mrs. Harrison. Their only daughter, Miss Lucy Harrison, died several years ago.
Mr. and Mrs. Harrison have always found their highest and purest pleasures in the home circle, and the celebration of their golden wedding marked another chapter in the hospitality of these beloved citizens and in the high esteem in which all of Atlanta holds them.