Things I Love
my local library
freshly picked summer corn
the Nero Wolfe mysteries
frogs and toads
West Virginia glassware
old Virginia roads
Myrna Loy and William Powell
farm-made goat cheese
volvelles and moving charts
old time radio
my critter cam
small town independent hardware stores
the cat dynamics of this neighborhood
freshly sharpened pencils
& books I don't want to throw at the wall
Music I Can't Stop Listening To
- Etta James
- Solomon Burke
- Kacey Musgraves
- Ashley Monroe
- Aretha's The Delta Meets Detroit
- Brandy Clark
- Nina Simone
- Lyle Lovett
- Kirsty MacColl
Books I Really Liked
- The Riddle of the Labyrinth (Margalit Fox)
- My Life in France (Julia Child, with Alex Prud'homme)
- Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe 1944-56 (Anne Appelbaum)
- No Idle Hands: A Social History of American Knitting (Anne MacDonald)
On social media
I have, like many of my contemporaries, mixed feelings about social media, and yet I use the most common varieties regularly. I do sometimes fear I'm going to suddenly start ordering these neighborhood kids off my lawn. Until that happens, here's a quick guide to me and social media.
There's up-to-date local nattering and non sequiturs on twitter. I very occassionally solicit book recommendations and post pictures from my critter cam and roadtrips to facebook (I prefer to have a context for folks on facebook - family, classmates, former coworkers, friends, witty internet pals, as opposed to total strangers.) I do have a g+ account, but come on! I never check it because I don't work at Google and I have no need for hangouts.
Personal Heroes and Role Models
- Lady Catherine DeBurgh
- Arnold Horshack
- Zsa-Zsa Gabor
- Bill MacNeil
- Ted Baxter
Jane Austen Novels Ranked by Preference
- Pride and Prejudice
- Sense and Sensibility
- Mansfield Park
- Northanger Abbey
Best Pie Flavors
- Apple Pie
- Lemon Meringue Pie
- Key Lime Pie
- Pear & Cranberry Almond Pie
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Five Facts About Me
- I was once stranded on a desert island.
- I need my own Archie Goodwin. Or Sol Panzer. Either'd be good.
- My favorite place in Australia is the rock reefs in front of the town center of Colloroy Beach.
- I once painted my primary bathroom bright bright orange.
- My first email address was a bitnet address.
What are You Going to Do With Your Life?
Working. A lot. For Now. It will calm down any monhth now. Other than that, I'm planning road trips, making time for books, involved in high-level feline negotiations, resisting buying myself any number of art tools that I do not have time for (like kilns or an antique letterpress or forge or ...), and working on several unnamed projects. I think that's good enough for now.
This list dates back at least 8 years and many of the links have ossified or gone away or otherwise disappointed me; I am tempted to make some sweeping statements about the nature of the modern web, but my tea is just about ready.